Recent Headlines

Upcoming Events
There are currently no events
View All Events

St. Leonard Volunteer
Fire & Rescue is a
100% Volunteer, 501(c)(3) organization. Your tax-deductible donation will help us stay that way while providing the best fire, rescue, and EMS services that we can.

2019 Fire Rescue and EMS
Jan 221
Feb 184
Mar 234
Apr 241
May 260
Jun 257
Total 1397

Total Fire/EMS
2018 2507
2017 2137
2016 2173
2015 2379
2014 2071
2013 2088

Working Fires
2018 2017
3 12

Web Counters
Website Visitors
February 2, 2015
Visitors Today
Aug 25, 2019
From the State Fire Marshal - Storm Safety
Email Print RSS Facebook Twitter

By Chief Ricky Weems II
September 11, 2018


STATEWIDE (September 11, 2018) – Severe storms may cause disruption in electrical service to our homes. State Fire Marshal Brian S. Geraci is cautioning citizens when using alternative light and electrical sources during power outages. “These easy to follow tips will help all Marylanders avoid injury or death during power outages,” said the State Fire Marshal.

· Use flashlights during power outages instead of burning candles. Keep plenty of fresh batteries on hand at all times. If you prefer the look of candles, consider flameless battery operated candles that offer the flickering light without the potential fire hazard.

· If using candles, make sure they are placed on a stable piece of furniture in sturdy holders that will not tip over. Candles should fit in the holders securely and the holders should be made of material that will not burn.

· Keep candles away from anything combustible, such as; clothing, books, papers, curtains, decorations or anything else that can burn.

· Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by children or pets.

· Always extinguish all candles when leaving the room or before going to sleep.

· Never use candles, matches or lighters if medical oxygen therapy is used in the home.

· Charged solar landscape lighting can be brought indoors for temporary lighting as a safe and effective alternative to candles.

· Ensure burners on stoves are in the off position during a power outage and remove any items from the stove-top to prevent unattended heating when the power is turned back on.

· Fuel burning appliances can produce the deadly, tasteless and odorless gas known as carbon monoxide. Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide an early warning of carbon monoxide exposure.

· If you are depending on portable generators for electricity during power outages, use extreme caution when refueling. Fuel splashed on a hot muffler could ignite, causing severe burns and serious injuries.

· Never attempt to refuel a generator while it is running. Always allow the unit to cool before attempting to refuel.

· Operate generators outside of the home and outside of garages. Carbon monoxide gas produced by operating generators is poisonous and can quickly cause severe injury or death.

· Ensure placement of the generator does not allow carbon monoxide to enter the home through windows, doors or other openings.

The State Fire Marshal offers one final tip that is just as important. “Make sure your home is equipped with working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors. These early notification devices are some of the most effective fire and life safety tools for preventing injury or death from fire and carbon monoxide poisoning”.

Comment Comment 0 Comment(s)

Website Designed and Hosted By: Content Proudly Maintained By: Contact Info:
Firehouse Solutions
Saint Leonard Volunteer
Fire Department and Rescue Squad

200 Calvert Beach Road
Saint Leonard, MD 20685
Emergency Dial 911
Non-Emergency: 410-586-1713
Station Fax: 410-586-3200
Copyright © 2019 Firehouse Solutions (A Service of Technology Reflections, Inc.)